Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Weekly Appointments

Well back on March 17th I started going to the doctor weekly. At the first appointment, at 35 weeks, I was shocked to learn that I had already started dilating! I was only at 1 cm, but it was something, with 5 more weeks to go. She also felt Reed and said he was about 6 pounds and would probably be about 7 1/2 pounds at delivery. At the next appointment, I was still only 1 cm, but I was also 30% effaced. Appointment #3 there was no change, but at 37 weeks I was fine with that because I was starting to get nervous that Reed would come early. This is going to sound so selfish but I really needed to work through April 3rd to get the books closed at work and being quarter end it was really important for me to be there. All you accountants out there understand...right? I am the only one in the office that can make journal entries, so there is literally no one else that can do my job.

Last week at my 4th weekly appointment, I was 2 cm and 50% effaced. My doctor mentioned that if I had progressed at my next appointment we could talk about inducing. I have had mixed emotions about inducing because I have heard it makes for a harder labor, etc. But I have always feared waiting and then still having to be induced. Also she had not estimated Reed's weight since the first weekly appointment 3 weeks ago, so I was still thinking he would be around 7 1/2 pounds at 40 weeks, not to bad if I wanted to wait. Well, yesterday I was only a little more dilated, but still at a 2 and still 50% effaced. To me that wasn't much progression. However, the doctor still felt it was something and seemed happy with it. Also, she felt Reed and said he was at least 7 1/2 pounds right now, maybe 8 lbs. She looked at me and said, "Your ready!" She said if you want to induce we can or you can wait. I said, well if I said I wanted to induce when would you want to do it (totally expecting her to say a day after my due date, I never thought anything before my due date would be a possibility)? She looked at us and said, "This Week!" What?!?! She said I would prefer tomorrow or Thursday. What?!?!

Just a side note, April 7th, has been my dream date since we got pregnant. It is our 10 year dating anniversary and I am a huge date person, so I have always thought it would be so neat. I got SO excited when it was a possiblility. But the nurse called and there were already 6 inducements scheduled for Tuesday, so that was out! :( I was definitely sad, but finding out that we might be having Reed with only 1 days noticed would have been way to crazy. For the most part we had everything done but realistically and mentally we were not prepared.

So we knew Thursday was still an option so we left and thought about it for a little bit and then I called the nurse back and asked her to check on Thursday and she called back and said, "We were on the schedule for Thursday morning!" Wow, was this really happening? Last night we came home from work and I think we were still in shock mode, we just ate dinner and did nothing and we hade quite a few things to get done, including installing the carseat! :)

Tonight, we have gotten a lot done, so I am feeling much more prepared right now! We have installed the carseat, I steralized some bottles and pacifiers (just in case), mop the kitchen floors and we hung the last picture up in the nursery....it is COMPLETELY finished...pictures to come!

So hopefully 48 hours from now we will be parents! So hard to believe! Literally my only emotion is excitement! I don't really feel nervous at all (yet, I am sure it will come)! This is something I have dreamed about my whole life and I can't believe it is actually about to happen! I just can't wait to meet Reed! I have had the best pregnancy I think anyone could ask for, I am still even sleeping good (still haven't had a night where I had to get up and use the bathroom and I promise I drink SO much water, I have water bottles right beside the bed, if anything that is what I wake up for, to get a drink). At this point I feel like I could be pregnant forever! I have actually had a few moments where I have gotten sad about missing my belly and I NEVER thought that could happen.

We plan to update the blog on Thursday as the day progresses so check back in to see the first pictures of Baby Reed and maybe the first post from Josh! :)

3 comments:

Charity said...

Day after tomorrow.... I can't believe it! I'll be praying for you that day, and I'll see you (and Reed) in the afternoon! Congratulations!

Ashley Scott...Oh the Randomness said...

this is so exciting!! i'm happy for you guys.

Charity said...

I almost forgot to tell you: I can't believe it has been 10 YEARS! Congrats!